What's In a Genre?


Readers, I have a question for you.

Do you typically choose the books you read based on the genre alone?

So, here's why I'm asking. I have a soft mystery series (two books) in revisions right now. But like many of my other novels there is a bit of a hybrid nature to it.

Many of my books straddle the line between cozy mystery and just plain ol' soft mystery. But these books have a bit more of a romance element to them.

So, how would you describe the genre then? And does it really matter when you plan on a new purchase?

At some point as an #indieauthor the book requires a specific genre description. When I go to check that box (or category) I'm not sure if this belongs under mystery or romance.

But I have to wonder, does it really matter that much to the reader? Of course it matters in terms of the platform I pick to sell the novel. But for the reader themselves, I want to know how much the genre plays into their choices.

I read a lot. For me, the genre does matter because I am a writer. Confession time: I actually avoid most romance novels with a vengeance. I do like romantic suspense, for example. But just romance for the sake of romance is not my personal cup of tea.

Should I worry about this? Or should I just stick with regular old mystery and add a few notes about the romance elements in the description?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Sorry. Couldn't
help it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Mystery, and a Little Something More

Simplicity, Minimalism, and Escaping in a Book

Super Duper Title Struggle